Friday, July 30, 2010

We're big in CHINA!

Craig and I were interviewed by Voice of America reporter Wan-Cheng Chao  about our strawbale home.  Our architect, Sigi Koko, and our new strawbaling friend, Katie, were interviewed as well.  Ms. Chao reports for the Chinese-speaking population in the U.S. and abroad.  You may listen to the interview and read the story.  (Note: the country music at the beginning and pig noises toward the end!)

I'm going to try to get my sister-in-law to use her mad language skills to translate and record the interview for us.  That way I can put it on the blog and the English-speaking among us can hear it!

Of particular note is the statement Ms. Chao made to me; that the Chinese would think this was a 'peasant house' because it is made of straw and other things that Chinese peasants would use in construction.  I thought this was great!  One of the reasons we're building in this manner is because the materials are locally available and sustainable.  Those Chinese 'peasants' are some pretty smart people!